Gabriela is a registered US Patent Attorney and Attorney at Law with expertise in MedTech and Life Sciences.
She has extensive experience with US and European patent prosecution including preparation, filing and responding to clarifications from USPTO examiners.
Gabriela advises clients in matters related to IP strategy and portfolio development, freedom-to-operate, patentability, infringement, due diligence, US trademarks and US law.
She is skilled in new business development and has a deep understanding of start-ups from the formation stage all the way through to scale-ups.
Phone:+46 8 440 95 15
Mobile:+46 795 857 929
Before moving to Sweden, Gabriela worked as Director of Intellectual Property at three medical device start-ups in Silicon Valley and then as an IP consultant at her own company in the US.
Gabriela performs services within the areas of IP strategy, patent drafting and prosecution, freedom-to-operate, US intellectual property opinions, due diligence, start-ups, new business development, trademarks and US law.
Gabriela’s technical expertise includes intellectual property law, MedTech, life sciences and US law. She has prosecuted MedTech patent applications in the fields of cardiology, urology, orthopedic surgery, ENT, ophthalmology, endocrinology, bariatric surgery and biopharmaceutical applications in cancer immunotherapy. Specific examples of the MedTech products she has worked with include devices, implants, sensors, stimulation devices, catheters, and bandages.
Since 2019, Gabriela has been lecturing at the IP Akademin on US Patent Practice, US Post-Grant Procedure, Patenting Mathematical Methods in the US, and Patenting Medical Methods in the US. Additionally, she has lectured at Karolinska Institutet and Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan on IP Strategy and Intellectual Asset Management (KI).
- Analyses & searches
- IP due diligence
- IP Strategy
- SPCs - Supplementary Protection Certificates
- Trade secrets
- Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Life sciences
- Patent Consultant at Bergenstråhle & Partners AB, Stockholm, 2014-2022
- Intellectual Property Consultant at Gabriela Tomescu Consulting, Palo Alto, CA, 2012-2014
- Director of Intellectual Property at IntraPace, Inc., Mountain View, CA 2009-2012
- Director of Intellectual Property at ForSight Labs VISION3, Menlo Park, CA 2008-2009
- Director of Intellectual Property at Apneon, Inc., Cupertino, CA, 2007-2008
- Counsel and IP Coordinator, at Apneon, Inc., Cupertino, CA, 2005-2006
- Swedish (Basic Proficiency)
- Bachelor of Science in Microbiology, Ohio State University, 2004
- Juris Doctor, Georgetown University Law Center, 1996
- Master of Arts in French & Romance Philology, Columbia University, 1993
- Bachelor of Arts in French and Political Science, Columbia College/Columbia University, 1989
- U.S. Patent Attorney
- Attorney-at-Law (Member of the California Bar, US)
- AIPLA (American Intellectual Property Law Association)
- BAIMA (Bay Area In-House MedTech Attorneys) (BAIMA)
- California Bar Association
- FICPI Sweden (International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys)