Xiaofan’s practice focuses on both contentious and non-contentious strategic patent portfolio management, including client counselling on patent prosecution, dispute resolution/litigation and commercialization advice. He has successfully represented international and domestic clients in patent invalidation, patent infringement and administrative cases.
Xiaofan frequently provides clients with opinions on patent validity, patent infringement and freedom-to-operate analysis matters. He also advises on agreements for transferring or licensing patents, non-disclosure agreements/ trade secret issues and commercial aspects of patent rights. Xiaofan’s experience and track record in contentious work brings a valuable dimension to the non-contentious patent prosecution and advisory work he undertakes for clients.
His technical fields include mechanical engineering and manufacturing, laser imaging and printing/ packaging technology, computer science, internet technology, e-commerce, and business methods. In addition to having extensive experience in filing applications and securing patents on behalf of international clients before the State Intellectual Property Office (the Chinese Patent Office), Xiaofan is experienced in assisting domestic applicants in securing their patent rights before major patent offices in other jurisdictions.
- Analyses & searches
- Dispute resolutions/ Litigation
- IP due diligence
- IP Strategy
- IP Transactions
- Utility models
- Building & construction
- Food & beverage
- Manufacturing & process technology
- Materials technology & nanotech
- Software & IT
Before joining AWA Asia, Xiaofan was a partner at a tier 1 Chinese IP firm based in Beijing. Xiaofan was admitted to practice before the State Intellectual Property Office since 2006, and is one of the first patent litigators officially registered with the Supreme People’s Court in China.
- GDL College of Law of England and Wales, York
- LL.M. (Intellectual Property) University of Edinburgh
- M.Phil. (Publishing Studies) University of Stirling
- BSc. Eng. (Printing and Packaging Engineering) Xi’an University of Technology
- In 2006, qualified as a China patent attorney
- AIPPI, International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- Member of Experts Consulting Committee of IP Case Law Guidance and Studies Center (Beijing) of the Supreme People’s Court of China