Peter Kenamets is a seasoned litigator representing and assisting clients in patent infringement, validity, opposition and entitlement matters before the Swedish courts and the European Patent Office. He also has extensive experience in coordinating these efforts internationally.
Peter’s clients stem from a diverse range of industries including pharmaceuticals, mechanics, life sciences, manufacturing and the related process technology as well as telecommunications, providing him with a wide range of technical area expertise.
Peter is adept in pursuing and defending claims for preliminary injunctions and other security measures, court trials, appeal proceedings and oppositions. He has coordinated patent infringement efforts and mounted defences for clients in multiple jurisdictions, before the European Patent Office and national patent offices simultaneously.
Peter’s experience provides him with the unique ability to coordinate and manage global patent litigation and enforcement efforts, including central coordination, instructing local counsel and following a centralised strategy.
His knowledge of the various legal systems and how they differ allow him to effectively counsel clients with global interests in intellectual property.
Peter is also proficient in matters outside of intellectual property, regularly acting as counsel for clients in contractual lawsuits including arbitration proceedings.
He is an active participator in the IP and businesses communities, authoring articles and attending seminars and conferences. Peter is recognised as a patent litigation leader by prominent industry publications such as Managing IP, Who’s Who Legal, Intellectual Asset Management and Expert Guides.
- IP due diligence
- IP transactions & licensing
- Utility models
- SPCs - Supplementary Protection Certificates
- Litigation (patent)
- Patent, contentious
- SEP (Standard Essential Patents)
- Trade secrets
- Software & IT
- Life sciences
- Manufacturing & process technology
- Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
- Associate Lawyer, Mannheimer Swartling, 1998-2002
- Law Clerk, Trainee Judge, Stockholm District Court, 1997-199
- Trainee Lawyer, Lagerlöf & Leman, 1997
- A major original pharmaceutical drug producer in Supplementary Protection Certificate proceedings pending before the Court of Justice of the European Union, referred from the Patent and Market Appeals Court. The case concerns a second medical use patent and if an SPC can be granted when an SPC already exists based on a patent for the compound (active ingredient).
- Swedish producer and supplier of products for fibre optic networks in patent infringement and invalidity proceedings before the Patent and Market Court and in parallel proceedings before the courts in the UK and New Zealand. Opposition proceedings before the European Patent Office (EPO) against divisional patent applications within the same patent family from the patent involved in the court cases.
- Swedish client researching and developing instruments for measurement of implant stability in patent infringement and invalidity proceedings before the Patent and Market Court.
- Swiss developer and producer of industrial machines and solutions in proceedings relating to ownership of patents and patent applications pending before the Patent and Market Court.
- Supplier of plants, equipment, and services for the pulp and paper industry in district court patent infringement proceedings and opposition proceedings before the Swedish Court of Patent Appeals.
- Swedish manufacturer of material handling vehicles in district and appeal court patent infringement and invalidity proceedings involving technology for drive control systems for vehicles. (This was one of the biggest patent cases ever in Sweden with eleven days of main hearing in the district court.)
- Swedish producer of absorbent hygiene articles in district court patent infringement proceedings regarding incontinence products.
- Austrian pharmaceutical company in appeal court patent infringement and invalidity proceedings relating to peptide pharmaceuticals.Swedish producer of foamed materials in appeal court patent infringement and invalidity proceedings regarding polymer chemistry.
- Master of Laws, University of Gothenburg, School of Business, Economics and Law, 1996
- Authorised Patent Attorney (Sweden)
- AIPPI (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)
- SFIR (Swedish Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)
- VIRK (Intellectual Property Society of Western Sweden)