Joëlle Van Malderen
Joëlle Van Malderen is Head of AWA Switzerland. She is a European Patent Attorney as well a Belgian and Luxembourg Patent Attorney, with extensive experience in intellectual property prosecution. She is also a Benelux and European Trademark and Design Attorney. Joëlle is a member of the AWA Group Management Team.
Joëlle has been working in private practice with intellectual property law for over thirty years. She earned her civil engineering master’s degree in Physics from the Université Libre de Bruxelles and spent time as an assistant lecturer at the university after graduation.
She is adept at handling complex patent and trademark cases, having represented clients before national and European patent and trademark offices for three decades.
Joëlle assists her clients with strategies that defend or attack intellectual property rights, including infringement, nullity actions, unfair competition and compensation claims.
She is also an active part of the IP community engaging in lectures and courses including as a tutor on European patent law for the CEIPI Diploma in Patent Litigation at the University of Strasbourg, an external expert for the World Intellectual Property Office (WIPO) and as a tutor for IP-related courses at the University of Brussels.
- Analyses & searches
- Competition law
- IP due diligence
- IP Strategy
- Litigation (patent)
- Trade secrets
- Utility models
- Building & construction
- Food & beverage
- Manufacturing & process technology
- Materials technology & nanotech
- Media & entertainment
- oil & power
- Software & IT
- German (Basic Knowledge)
- M.Sc. Civil Engineering in Physics, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 1986
- Belgian Patent Attorney (Authorised)
- Benelux Trademark and Design Attorney
- European Patent Attorney
- European Trademark and Design Attorney
- Luxembourg Patent Attorney (Authorised)
- LES (Licensing Executives Society)
- AIPPI (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property)
- BMM (Benelux Association for Trademark and Design Law)
- INTA (International Trademark Association)
- epi (Institute of Professional Representatives before the European Patent Office), Belgian Delegate before the epi Council
- FICPI (International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys)
- CCPIB (Chambre des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle de Belgique)
- FCPIL (Fédération des Conseils en Propriété Industrielle au Luxembourg)
- Belgian Council of Intellectual Property
- Belgian Professional Representatives, Approval Committee Member